Get Out and Play!

As I sit here eating ice cream on this sunny January day, I find it hard to believe that only two weeks ago I was trapped in the snow storm of Illinois.

As a California girl, especially this winter, I was really excited to be going to the snow. People found it strange that people actually vacation to the snow or that someone could really like the snow! Well, I do! I asked everyone if they wanted to go play outside with me and do normal snow activities, but there were no takers. No one was excited that there was snow falling from the sky and actually sticking around long enough to cover the ground with a beautiful white powder for as far as the eye could see. I stood alone in that excitement. Maybe it is because I really like winter, or maybe it was because I had not been surrounded by snow for a few months already. Whatever the reason, I was the only one who wanted to go out and play in the snow! After my friends made sure I had all the necessities for good-quality snow play, they left me to enjoy the subzero temperatures and blizzardy goodness all on my own. Filled with excitement, I walked out the door and into the Winter Wonderland.

It didn’t take long for me to feel like a fool for playing all alone in the snow. It was beautiful, but it just was not that exciting without someone to share the experience with. And it was cold…really cold. So, after a few short minutes, I found myself back in the comfort and warmth of the indoors.

Once my whole body defrosted, I was able to reflect on what I had experienced. That’s when God began to unfold a not-so-easy-but-much-needed lesson.

The way my friends felt about the snow since they were always around it is the same way I tend to feel about the Gospel at times. Snow was nothing new for them, and quite frankly, nothing exciting. The over exposure to the weather had caused them to lose the thrill and wonder that I had for the snow. Now, that’s okay when it comes to things like snow…but I found myself with this same mentality in a much bigger area of my life. The Gospel.

I have been around the story of Jesus and the truth of the Bible since I was born. I now go to a Christian university where the Bible is required reading for classes and I am surrounded by conversations and sermons about Jesus. Don’t get me wrong, I love it! But what I am saying is that I sometimes allow myself to become dry when it comes to the power and mystery of the Gospel. I lose wonder and joy because I let the truth grow stale in my heart. It is easy to get bogged down by the “religion” that comes with the truth of Jesus, but I don’t want to live that way. I want to live my life to the fullest, because that is why Jesus came and gave all that He had. I want to experience pure joy no matter what circumstances come my way. I want to go outside and play in the snow…no matter how foolish it may seem or how alone I may feel in the endeavor.

I want to challenge you to do the same. No matter what your story is, get out and play! Explore more of who God is and who He wants you to be…and enjoy it! Live life to the fullest and choose to experience all that God offers you! Don’t walk the journey alone either. Playing in the snow isn’t as fun when you are alone, neither is discovering the truth and love of Jesus! Seek God in those who were created in His image. Look for Him in the simple things. Let your walls down and just enjoy His company! God wants to take you on the adventure of a lifetime, you just have to choose to step out the front door and into the wonders of His love, grace, and power!

So, get out and play in the snow!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts