You Want to Be My What?!

As Valentine's Day approaches, our culture is split in two. Those who like the commercialized holiday for love, and those who don't. The great divide is extremely noticeable on my Christian University campus. Yes, it's a little ridiculous how much backlash one holiday can receive...but I find it pretty entertaining!

I was reminded of a story today. I was totally caught off guard by the memory of this random event that happened in my life years ago. I thought it came to mind at a really inconvenient time as I stood singing about how great Jesus is. I was wrong. The timing was impeccable.

Before I explain why I believe God reminded me of this story, let me take you back to a few years ago.

As Valentine's Day was creeping in, a few years ago, I was too busy and too single to care. One day, about a week before the 14th of February, a group of my guy friends stopped by my house to say hi. This was a normal occurrence, so I thought nothing of it. They were just out around town that afternoon, so they decided to stop in. We hung out and talked about life for a bit, but their visit was rather rushed. As I was walking them out the door, I was halted by one of the guys. He said he had a question to ask me...

Now, I, in my awkward self had no idea what was going to happen next. The pieces did not connect in my mind. If you are reading this, you may very well know how the story plays out. But how was I supposed to know that in a matter of seconds I was going to hear the supposed-to-be-romantic-but-turns-out-kinda-awkward five words:

"Will you be my Valentine?"

A million thoughts rushed through my mind in a second that felt like eternity as he stood there with a Toblerone chocolate rose in his hand. My mouth functioned faster than my brain in that moment as my very smooth reply slipped off my tongue...

"I don't believe in Valentine's Day."

What?! That was the best I could do?! What does that even mean?! I didn't know what else to say, but I couldn't let myself accept such a sweet gesture. There he stood having laid it all on the line, and I just couldn't accept it.

I find myself in that same place. In fact, I have talked to many people lately who are in a similar place. No, they aren't being offered a chocolate rose at the bottom of their staircase by a friend. But the offer is even greater.

As I think back on that moment, I am reminded of another man who laid it all on the line to be with me...and with you! I am reminded of arms opened wide, vulnerable and mocked. The greatest gesture of passionate love that has ever been displayed. I am reminded of the One who gave everything so that He could possibly be with me for more than just Valentine's Day!

I think about my reaction to that rose years ago and realize that sometimes I respond the same way to the cross. I can't accept it. I don't let myself receive the gesture of love that was displayed for my sake. I can't possibly believe that I am worth such a marvelous sacrifice. I fall for the lie that says I am not good enough. The price paid for me was not quite enough to make up for the debts that were due. The gift given to me couldn't really be for someone like me.

All of these thoughts and lies roll through my heart as I look to the cross, but the truth reigns victorious no matter what my response is. And the same is true for you.

Jesus laid it all on the line for you because He loves you with a passionate love. It doesn't always make sense, but since when has romance ever made sense?! Nothing you have done, nothing you can do, and nothing you will do can or will change the fact that God's gift for you is more than enough.

He doesn't just want to share Valentine's Day with you, He wants to spend the rest of Eternity with you!

He saw that you were worth it, so He went for it. You get to decide how you are going to respond.

Comments

Popular Posts