A Different Point of Pew.

I am part of the "it's not a religion, not a relationship" generation. We have gotten exhausted with tradition and fed up with the reputation of the Church (both as an institution and as people). We seem to want more out of life than religious ideals can offer us. It is a shift in perspective that is breathing a new life into timeless truths as it stirs up a desire to break free from complacency. We are in a time where we desire to sit at the feet of Jesus more than we desire to sit in a church pew. We would rather be the hands of Jesus than just shake hands on Sunday morning. We find more satisfaction in challenging tradition than just doing what we've been told all these years.

I have gotten so caught up in this "Love Jesus, but not the Church" trend that has been sweeping the nation that I started to buy into this very concept. I started to turn my back on the very people that raised me to be who I am: the Church. I got so tired of just showing up to another service, listening to yet another sermon, and living in the rut of tradition. Religion no longer satisfied as it did when I was young. And I blamed that on the Church.

I hadn't turned my back on Jesus. In fact, my relationship with Him was all that kept me going most days. I still attended services held in warehouse buildings, took notes, conversed about how to apply various principles, and aced my Bible classes.

I had a relationship with Jesus, but I was nothing more than a consumer when it came to religion.

Then, one day, I walked into the most beautiful sanctuary and my perspective began to shift. I was in awe of the beauty of the artwork that covered every square inch of the walls. The detail everywhere you looked was so intricate and so intentional.

Reverence. Something my "all about relationship" mentality had been missing out on. Jesus had become my best bud, of course I respected him! But reverence is so much more than simple respect. There is so much beauty found in the power of religion. No, I wouldn't consider myself to be religious, but that doesn't mean religion is all bad. There must be a balance between the sacred reverence of tradition and religion, and the vibrant life lived in relationship with Jesus on a daily basis.

He is so good. He deserves to be revered, feared, and worshipped. And the truth is, we cannot give Him what He deserves on our own. And we cannot walk deeper into the presence of our God alone. That's what the Church is all about. Your relationship with Jesus does not just affect you. The point of showing up and sitting in the pew, chair, or around the table with members of the Church is because we need each other. If you are used to only showing up for a weekly service, please, engage in a personal relationship with Jesus. It will change your life on such a profound level. Also, if you only care about living out of a "Jesus and me" mindset, I urge you to get connected with other believers. You are missing out on the Lord's desire to have His Spirit dwell within the Body as a whole. You are part of something bigger when you follow Christ...so join in fully!

There is so much beauty in this balance. So much joy in this union. So much truth in tradition. So much more that the Lord wants to show us as we engage with Him and with others!

Comments

Popular Posts