Flexibility Required

I'd like to think that I am a pretty adaptable person. According to StrengthsQuest, adaptability is one of my top strengths. However, sometimes I just want certainty without change, gosh darn it!

A little over a year ago, I kept seeing a sign on the screens of our campus cafeteria (you know, back when I was in college) for a new program launching a TESOL (Teaching English to Speaker of Another Language) minor. Finally, one day I finally gave in and emailed the head of the program to see what it would require. At this point I was a Youth Ministry major with a double minor in Bible & Theology and Psychology, going into my Senior year at WJU. At this point, why not just slap another minor on the workload?! I wanted to squeeze every last bit of value out of those tuition dollars!

Without much surprise, the department head responded to my email saying that he wasn't really sure it would fit into my already full schedule, but he would be willing to meet with me to see what we could work out. After receiving this email, I was not too attached to the program, I was just curious and willing to let God do whatever He wanted with this. After meeting with him, we noticed a few holes in my schedule that could still allow me to take the Adoption class I wanted as an elective (shoutout to Phil Darke for facilitating an interesting class!), but it would require me to jump through a few more hoops.

Next stop, the registrar's office. I had to check to see if all the shuffling we wanted to do would actually count. Her initial response was similar to the one I heard earlier that day, "I'm not sure this could work, but I'm willing to take a look." At this point, that response was more of an exciting challenge that served as a fleece laid out before the Lord to see what He wanted to do with this. If it was His will, He would make it work, right?! Well, after looking deeply into all of my completed courses and all still necessary before my quickly approaching graduation, the registrar was able to send me through her hoop and onto another. I had to go seek the approval of the heads of both of my current minors. All these hoops shot me straight past curiosity and into the realm of excitement and expectation as I saw God's hand clearly working in this entire process. After two more short meetings seeking the final approval, I got the clears I needed and headed back to the registrar to make this decision official.

It all seemed to happen so quickly. One minute I was sitting in class emailing a professor (I mean, paying attention in class, of course) and the next I was declaring a third minor in TESOL!

As I started to catch my breath from all of the day's circus acts of activities, I started to see that the Holy Spirit really knew what He was doing when He prompted that original email. You see, a few years back, I found myself on a dirt pile deep in the heart of Costa Rica with a group of kids and young teenagers who so deeply desired to learn English. As I taught them the only language I know and they taught me theirs, my heart felt more and more alive! I walked away that night with the desire to switch my major and learn how to be an English teacher for those who don't speak English. However, all I could think to do with what was being offered at my school was become an English or teaching major, and neither of those really seemed to be geared to what I was now passionate about. So, I kept my major and just set that desire aside. But God still held it in His hands.

Years passed and a new program was starting for TESOL right as I was about to finish school. What makes it even better is the fact that when we looked at my schedule, all the spots that were still open could be shuffled or doubled to include this new minor. Some of those holes I had planned on filling earlier but could not due to schedule conflicts. Let's just say, I was floored. Literally. When I realized this was all not some fortunate accident.

This is where flexibility kicks in.

When I originally signed up for this program, we were planning to go on a month long trip to China to teach English at a school there. I had never expected to go to China, but I was beyond excited for the adventure ahead (besides, I won't turn down a good opportunity to go somewhere new)! For months, China was now part of my future plans. After this past school year started, we started to hear murmurs that China may not actually be a possibility. However, that's when we started to build a connection with a program with an organization in Moldova in hopes of partnering with them to teach. Moldova, for those who don't know (I didn't either), is in Eastern Europe between Ukraine and Romania. Just like China, I had never expected to go, but I was excited for the opportunity! For the next few months, this was our new plan. However, the ball just never seemed to get rolling. Something was blocking it, but we weren't sure what. Our team was beginning to be discouraged as summer seemed to be right around the corner and our motivation was not anywhere nearby. After finding out some unfortunate news, our team decided it was time to close the door to the option of Moldova for now and begin looking into new options. Discouraged, confused, and exhausted. We just wanted to be open to what God had in store...we just had no idea what that was. Blind faith. The following week, we began to get excited about a door that seemed open for us to come through. This time in South Carolina with Alabama as a back-up plan or slight possibility. (I know you may be thinking "why would you need to teach English there?!", but people come from all over the world into all over the U.S. wanting to learn English). For the next week we were trying to wrap our minds around the idea of going to South Carolina. However, that excitement was short lived. The following week we found out that the door we were hoping to walk through in South Carolina was not going to be open when we needed it to be, so the search continued. This time leading us to a program in (what we thought was) Chicago, Illinois. At this point, we were all starting to feel the whiplash of uncertainty and change that came from this trip planning process so far. It has been a journey so far, that's for sure! It got to the point where anytime I saw one of my team members, I would ask, "where are we going this week?!" Part of that question was rooted in humor, the other part (probably the majority) was rooted in sheer uncertainty. Wherever we were going, we were going to trust that God knew what He was doing. After another week, we found out that the program we were planning on teaching with in Chicago is actually located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. So, as I am writing this, that is where we are going! I probably won't believe it until I have a plane ticket in my hand on July 8th. However, that's what we are planning on now!

The location changes were not really what required us to be flexible. I am the type of person who could show up to an airport with a bag packed for all weather and just ask for the next flight out and be fine! I'll go just about anywhere! What made all this change difficult is that with each new location came a new culture, classroom demographic, job responsibility, class age range, dates, team members available, and the style of teaching to prepare for and get excited about. We did not know what we were supposed to prepare for. Each new trip also required a different amount necessary to be able to go, which makes fundraising incredibly difficult. For a trip like this, I would generally send out as many support letters as possible to help raise funds and ask for partnership with our team through prayer. However, when you don't know where you are going or the specifics of what you are doing, it makes it a little difficult.

Flexibility. I have learned that when you are part of the Kingdom of God, the willingness and ability to be flexible is not just a nice thought, it is a necessity. God knows what He is doing and He doesn't always share those details with us until we absolutely need to know them. This is what leads us into complete dependence upon Him. The willingness to move when He says move keeps us moldable in the hands of the Father. This is where He wants us--flexible and willing.


If you would like to join our team on this crazy journey to teach English in the name of Jesus Christ, you can partner with us through your prayers and your financial generosity. You can donate online at http://www.jessup.edu/missions/ by clicked the "Give to Missions" tab and filling out the form and selecting the "Moldova-TESOL 2015" designation (now you know why)! Each member of our team must raise the full $2,000 for the trip by July 1st. The money goes to help fund our time there as teachers, our flight, and the Summer English Institute we will be partnering with! Your donations are tax deductible and incredibly appreciated! 

Your support in all facets is a beautiful representation of the Body of Christ! If you have any more questions or my long-winded blogpost just wasn't enough and you want to talk more about this journey, I would love to share more with you! Just let me know! Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts