An Open Letter to Adulthood

Well, hello there Adulthood...

Just to be polite I should tell you it is nice to finally meet you and that I am so glad you are here after your long-awaited arrival. And it would be rude of me to not invite you in so I could kindly entertain your presence. So, welcome...but now that you're here and you have made yourself quite comfortable, I think it's time we cut the act. 

Adulthood, there is no easy way to say this...but you are not all you are cracked up to be. When I was a child, I dreamed you would come riding in one day on a white horse ready to save me from the tortures of nap times and time outs. Instead, just as I began to appreciate the joy those "tortures" brought to me, you waltzed in on your high horse and stomped all over them. I don't feel very rescued. 

May I offer you something to drink? (Maybe it will help you swallow this next pill better...)

I remember the sweetness of life before you arrived. You know, back when I had friends I could spend time with. Ever since you came into time, all you do is demand all of our attention. How needy can you be? Not to mention the fact that now you have created a ridiculous amount of pressure for us to pair up and procreate. (Most of us still don't know how to properly sustain our own lives and you expect us to care for others' as well?!)

For as long I can remember, you would write letters filled with encouragement that I could take on the world with you once you arrived. You used your friends, Public School Education and Sunday School, to stir within me enough pride to keep my head up and my eyes looking forward. Then you showed up. Something about your entry called into question everything I once believed I was capable of accomplishing. You are a lot bigger than I pictured...and certainly not as pretty close up. No offense. 

You are an expensive guest to maintain...and you show no signs of leaving anytime soon...so can you help out a little?! Maybe ease up on sending out bills for every little thing. Oh, and doing some work around the house sure won't kill you. Cleaning up after you is getting quite out of hand! Pick up a dust pan and stop trying to just brush everything under the rug. 

Also, why do you insist on messing with my memory books on the shelves? You take out all the thoughts and memories I need and leave me with the ones that serve no purpose whatsoever! It is getting out of hand. 

One more thing, I know you aren't all bad and I really am glad you're here. Your arrival was just nothing like what I had planned. Yes, I know that's alright and I appreciate your patience with me as I straighten things out again. Please, make yourself comfortable...because the more comfortable you are, the more I get to grow in the process! 

Are you hungry? I can learn how to cook you something! 

Comments

Popular Posts